I decided to make Victoria a guitar for her birthday, though it’ll probably be closer to her next birthday before I finish it. It’s a copy of a 1940 Gibson L-00 and I’ll be using a Sitka Spruce Top and Birdseye Maple back & sides. At the moment, the top and back have been joined and the shape is roughly cut out. The rosette is installed and the soundhole is cut out and bound. I’ve also glued the back reinforcement strip. I’m just about to make the mold, which is a dusty job! I’m very excited for this project.
Here’s a little sound sample of the recently completed Cedar/Bog Yew mandolin I made for Custy’s Music Shop. It was pre-ordered and bought before it reached the shop and I’m happy it has a lovely new home in Co. Waterford. I was very pleased with the sound and the Bog Yew grain is simply magical. More info about this mandolin here. This mandolin included my first three piece back, which myself and anyone who tried it liked. I have a set of Indian rosewood here that is suitable for another three piece back mandolin, which may very well become the next mandolin!